Coping With Sleepless Nights ~ Tylenol Nighttime Sleep Centre #SleepTonight

Tylenol Nighttime

Anyone that knows me, knows that I have fought a battle with sleepless nights for at least five years now.  Starting with when I decided to co-sleep with my little one.  As with any new mom sleep isn’t an option.  Now that my little one is sleeping through the night, you would think I would be having a wonderful nights rest.  Not so, I have an extremely hard time to fall asleep many nights and lay there staring at the ceiling.  I am a thinker, I think things to death.  Which is good in a way but not at bedtime.  I lay awake with the wheels spinning inside my head (thinking of everything I need to get done, deadlines, school events, personal commitments).  Should I be lucky enough to fall asleep, I often awake a little later and the wheels starts up again.

Tylenol Nightime

On other nights I find myself waking and staying awake for hours after, tossing and turning.  I don’t know why this happens, although, I suspect sometimes it’s about being too wound up after a late night working and high caffeine intake.  Then before I know it the alarm is buzzing and it’s time to get up!  I literally look like the “Walking Dead” after one of those nights.

I do have trouble sleeping some nights because I am sore in my neck and shoulders.  Working on a computer most of the day contributes to that but lifting and hauling around a small child and her belongings can also cause some discomfort.

Regardless of why or what the reasons are for the lack of sleep, I needed to find a solution.  After checking out a few articles about sleep routines, I found a few tips that do actually help to relax the body and de-clutter the mind:

~  A warm drink (milk, camomile tea, no caffeine) before bed is soothing and can help you relax.

~  Hopping into a warm bath just before bed is another great way to unwind.  It relaxes and soothes away tired muscles.

~ Stay away from the TV, computer and video games, instead opt for a good book to wind down with.

Give them a try if you suffer from sleeplessness as I do.  Staying away from the TV and any electronics is a big help, I find they stimulate me too much as does the coffee after supper.

Tylenol Nighttime

I was thrilled to have opportunity to engage in the Tylenol Nighttime Sleep Centre site, where I found a wealth of information about sleep.  I found out what sleep is and why it’s important to my health.  I  read up on The Facts of Sleeplessness and found out the truth about sleeplessness.  Did you know that health factors such as stress and pain come to the top of the list in causing sleeplessness?  They are a big factor in my lack of sleep and with the help of Tylenol Nighttime I can have a great sleep, pain-free.  I also learned different ways that I can change my lifestyle to encourage a good nights rest.

Tired of being tired?  the Sleep Centre offers up 10 tips to help you fall asleep and stay asleep.  I didn’t know this before, but having a light snack containing tryptophan and calcium help trigger the sleep hormones.  Check it out and start sleeping tonight!

Another great way I learned to sleep better was educating myself on the sleep cycles and how to protect my sleep patterns.  Factors such as light, temperature and noise all come into play when trying to get a good nights sleep.  Watch this video to learn more about the sleep routine and how to sleep better.

It’s no fun trying to run on little or no sleep.  Quality of life has been next to nil with out my proper sleep at night.  Thanks to Tylenol Nighttime Sleep Centre I have learned how to help myself through changing my lifestyle and if I need a little help for the pain, Tylenol Nighttime has that covered too.

If you are like me and need help to sleep or are suffering night time pain that keeps you up, give Tylenol Nighttime a try.  The great people at Tylenol Nighttime would like to offer you $4.00 off coupon!

Out of the 10 tips listed on the Sleep Centre site, which one do you think will help you the most in getting a good night sleep?

This post was generously sponsored by Tylenol Nighttime, but the opinions and images are my own. For more information, visit http://sleep-centre.ca

26 Comments on Coping With Sleepless Nights ~ Tylenol Nighttime Sleep Centre #SleepTonight

1. candacederickx
    December 4, 2013 at 9:15 pm (1 year ago)

If there is one thing I’ve learned since having children, sleep is not overrated. I totally took it for granted for too long. No more. I really do love the Tylenol Sleep site. So needed!

• Dawn Trudeau
      December 4, 2013 at 9:19 pm (1 year ago)

Candace you are so right about once the kids come along, it’s always something, if not teething then they are out with the car! :) Thanks

2. ashley
    December 5, 2013 at 6:50 am (1 year ago)

I am lucky, it is rare I have trouble sleeping (well, on my own…..many nights I am up with a sick child, or a kid that is awake for some unknown reason). I am glad that you were able to get some insight into sleep – it is amazing what sleep deprivation can do and cause you to feel

• Dawn Trudeau
      December 5, 2013 at 7:01 am (1 year ago)

Thanks Ashley, you are very fortunate. I think the Sleep Centre has much needed info for anyone who is experiencing sleeplessness even short term.

3. Christine
    December 5, 2013 at 9:49 am (1 year ago)

I’ve been having a hard time sleeping for the last year. I
    think it’s because I do too much in a day and at night my brain is
    having a hard time resting. It sucks! Thanks for all the tips, I’m
    hoping they work for me :)

• Dawn Trudeau
      December 5, 2013 at 12:04 pm (1 year ago)

Good luck Christine. It is hard to wins down after a busy day. I hope you get some relief with The help of Sleep Centre.

4. Jenna Em (@SnyMed)
    December 5, 2013 at 10:00 am (1 year ago)

The biggest factor in me not getting to sleep is my 5 kids,
    ages 3- to -8-years old! After they are put to bed, they just don’t
    stay put and try to stay up late and wake up extra early!

• Dawn Trudeau
      December 5, 2013 at 10:48 am (1 year ago)

Jenna I felt same with the three boys. Now there’s the gap with my daughter. She still doesn’t like to go to bed. Still don’t sleep. Worry about boys being out and about :)

5. Kelly Connor (@_CityMom)
    December 5, 2013 at 10:18 am (1 year ago)

Great tips! I love the light snack tip…I guess the old
    ‘warm milk’ rule is true after all. :)

• Dawn Trudeau
      December 5, 2013 at 10:46 am (1 year ago)

Thanks Kelly. Yes warm milk is a soother.

6. Holly Messana
    December 5, 2013 at 5:38 pm (1 year ago)

For me I think reading a book, turn the tv off and spend
    that time reading. I know in the past that is what i did, but then
    i watched tv in my room while kids were falling asleep, so they
    knew i was close by. Then i couldn’t get to sleep. Bad habit
    now.

• Dawn Trudeau
      December 5, 2013 at 6:05 pm (1 year ago)

Same here Holly. I was watching TV in my room and I would fold laundry or something so LO would go to sleep. Did not help my sleeplessness one bit.

7. Elizabeth Matthiesen
    December 6, 2013 at 10:17 pm (1 year ago)

I used to have problems getting to sleep as my mind worked
    on and on but then saw a tip on TV which works for me. I count one
    on breathing in and two on breathing out. Gets me to sleep in no
    time, probably through boredom! I do think that having a good
    mattress and pillow and very important to ensure I good nights
    sleep. I did use to have such a stiff back in the mornings that I
    could literally only roll out of bed. With my new mattress that
    problem has disappeared thankfully :-)

• Dawn Trudeau
      December 8, 2013 at 11:36 am (1 year ago)

Great tips Elizabeth! Definite plus to a good nights sleep is a good mattress. Thank you and good luck!

8. Emma Lesko
    December 9, 2013 at 11:31 pm (1 year ago)

Sleep I got covered – it’s staying awake that’s the
    problem! Ha! Seriously, though, the electronics one is a biggie. I
    just read somewhere that unplugging at least 2 hours before bed
    makes a big difference. Not that I have the willpower to try it to
    see if it works…

• Dawn Trudeau
      December 10, 2013 at 6:56 am (1 year ago)

Emma I have a problem staying awake during the day too! Lack of a good nights sleep I guess. It’s so true about the electronics and it takes discipline for sure to shut it down in the evenings.

9. yeewittlethings
    January 6, 2014 at 1:14 pm (12 months ago)

I am so thankful that I don’t have troubles sleeping, but I know many people who do. Routine is so important and I know lots of people who drink Nighty Night (or SleepyTime) teas. Sleep is so important…but not always so easy to get though!

• Dawn Trudeau
      January 6, 2014 at 3:04 pm (12 months ago)

Yes it is extremely important to get sleep. Nothing worse than walking around in a dog because you can’t wake up. Quality if life sure suffers.

10. Craig Silva
    January 6, 2014 at 1:35 pm (12 months ago)

Since using a CPAP machine, sleep has never been an issue. I’m going to check out the site though.

• Dawn Trudeau
      January 6, 2014 at 3:02 pm (12 months ago)

Thanks Craig, it sure is overwhelming the number of people who suffer from sleep deprivation. Lots of good tips on the site.

11. shandon00
    January 6, 2014 at 1:54 pm (12 months ago)

I like the advice to keep the bedroom a place for the 3 Ss –Sleep, Sex & Sickness– I know I should keep my phone charging in the kitchen because every notification (vibration) gets my attention. Even if I think it doesn’t. Great advice.

• Dawn Trudeau
      January 6, 2014 at 3:01 pm (12 months ago)

For sure! I also keep my cell charging at my bedside which is a big no no. I tend to check my phone if I do wake. Bad habit. Thanks!

12. Little Miss Kate (@LilMissKateCo)
    January 6, 2014 at 2:12 pm (12 months ago)

Hubs and I were just talking about when we will ever get a uninterrupted nights sleep again. Love my kids, but ohhh how I miss a great nights sleep.

• Dawn Trudeau
      January 6, 2014 at 2:59 pm (12 months ago)

I hear you Kate! I can’t remember my last nights sleep without interruptions. Here’s to sleeping soundly at least a few nights a week :)

13. Jennifer Van Huss
    January 6, 2014 at 2:24 pm (12 months ago)

Fortunately, Sleep has never been a problem of mine! I can fall asleep on a dime (most nights) and sleep until I’m woken up! My DH on the other hand, needs this article very much! He has huge sleep issues. If one of the kids coughs or sneezes during the night he can be awake for the rest of the night. He’s very sensitive to sounds and wakes up easily! I’m going to pass this info on to him! Thanks!

• Dawn Trudeau
      January 6, 2014 at 2:57 pm (12 months ago)

Jennifer, your hubby sounds like me. I can’t say I get many full nights sleep. I do use a fan personally and that helps. If anyone coughs or such I’m up for the remainder. Not fun. I hope your husband finds some help on the Tylenol Sleep Center website.

Your Comments Make Me Smile :)