Creating A Fall Theme In Your Child’s Play – #Tips

Kids Fall Collage

I love using themes.  Themes are a great way to use what you own and change it up a bit through out the year so you don’t get bored.  At home, I have my seasonal themes and then holiday themes.  I usually have a date that I will change my theme.  I never decorate for Halloween until we have had Thanksgiving.  I won’t decorate for Christmas until after Remembrance Day.  That’s just me, out of respect for our veterans, they deserve their day and it’s the least I can do.  Another thing I do is set out theme based areas of interest for my little one.  It may be my early childhood training kicking in, or just me being a theme crazed mom.

Right now, seeing it’s  the month of September and being that it’s now Fall (I had a hard time this year letting go of summer), I have set out Fall items for my daughter to use.  A few story books geared towards the Fall (Thanksgiving, pumpkins, leaves) and once we celebrate Thanksgiving I will add in a few Halloween books.  I try to buy and order books that not only help K with her reading but also excite her about the season or holiday that is upon us.

Septemeber

We make theme based arts and crafts such a batch of orange playdough to make pumpkins from.  A colourful hand print turkey to brighten up the kitchen.  A wreath made from red and orange leaves makes a beautiful centerpiece for your Thanksgiving table.

Adding in Fall activities is great for the kids too.  A visit to the local pumpkin patch, around here we will be heading out the Hugli’s Pumpkin Patch in Pembroke, Ontario.  The little one’s love it and they will get to pick out their very own little pumpkin to bring home.  But the best trip ever is

to Grandma’s garden!  K loves to help in the garden and this year she’s already picked her first mini pumpkin.  A fun time can be had by the whole family while raking up the leaves and jumping around those piles!

Fall Cupcakes

Of course, I can’t forget the baking.  K loves to decorate cookies and cupcakes.  I always provide different toppings so she can be creative.  Orange, red and green sprinkles are great or just orange icing.  The kids love it!

Creating theme based play for your child adds a little excitement to their same old play.  Changing up the toys, books and activities also keeps them fresh and interesting.

Do you do theme based play at your house?  Do you have any tips you can share?

12 Comments on Creating A Fall Theme In Your Child’s Play – #Tips

1. Christine
    September 26, 2013 at 9:15 am (1 year ago)

I still can’t believe summer is over and it’s already fall! Where did summer go? Thanks for these fun fall ideas! I don’t do enough fall activities with my daughters…

• Dawn Trudeau
      September 26, 2013 at 10:28 am (1 year ago)

I know! I love summer and it went to darn fast. Thanks :)

2. Jody @ Mommy Moment
    September 26, 2013 at 10:31 am (1 year ago)

We always had a theme sensory bucket for the different seasons when my girls were younger – now the girls just help me decorate our house/front porch for each season.

• Dawn Trudeau
      September 26, 2013 at 10:43 am (1 year ago)

Hi Jody, that’s a lot of fun! I love getting creative with our outdoor decorating too but haven’t started yet :) thanks!

3. Maya Fitz
    September 26, 2013 at 10:48 am (1 year ago)

What a great idea. As a SAHM, I’m always looking for new ways to keep my little one’s entertained. Thanks for the theme idea… going to the pumkin patch is our new family tradition.

• Dawn Trudeau
      September 26, 2013 at 9:37 pm (1 year ago)

Thank you Maya! It’s my pleasure, enjoy the pumpkin patch this year :)

4. Aeryn Lynne
    September 26, 2013 at 11:01 am (1 year ago)

So great! Fall is by far my favourite season to decorate, lol. I love the varying hues of browns, yellows, reds and oranges that make this season so warming, despite the cooler weather. I don’t have any tips to share, sorry, but I love this idea of themeing play by season! :D

• Dawn Trudeau
      September 26, 2013 at 9:36 pm (1 year ago)

Thank you Aeryn Lynne! Fall is a gorgeous time to decorate :)

5. Tammy (@inRdream)
    September 26, 2013 at 11:11 am (1 year ago)

Oh I wish I was more organized like this. I always wanted to be the Martha Steward mom but I just cannot keep up with it. LOL You have inspired me to try and try again this month.

• Dawn Trudeau
      September 26, 2013 at 9:35 pm (1 year ago)

Hi Tammy, that’s so nice to say :) Once you have a little box of goodies put together for the season/holiday it gets easier for the next time! Thank you :)

6. Randa
    October 2, 2013 at 11:00 am (12 months ago)

My little guy and I are going to start baking more. Happy fall!

• Dawn Trudeau
      October 2, 2013 at 11:36 am (12 months ago)

Hi Randa! That sounds like a great idea, nothing better than doing things with our little ones :)

Your Comments Make Me Smile :)